You all know how obsessed I am with Mexican food, right? So why should I miss out on something I love just because I’m “watching what I eat?”
I refuse. Can’t do it. Won’t even try. That’s why I decided to “healthify” a favorite of mine and turn tacos into Healthy Chicken Tacos.
I firmly believe that of all of the “junk food” and “fast food” and “unhealthy food” that is literally pushed at us every single day, Tacos are the healthiest. I stand by it. My favorite food when we go out to eat is Mexican, and I literally have to have tacos at least once a week – or I’ll explode.
But, if you’re trying to watch your calories or tracking your macros, or even if you’re trying to be “good” and not spend as much money eating out, making tacos at home yourself is always an option, too.
Here is just one of my taco recipes! (My absolute favorite happens to be my Paleo Friendly Tacos, but this one is great, too! If I do say so myself).
The Best Healthy Chicken Tacos EverPrint
Healthy Chicken Tacos! You can honestly use just about any ingredients that you wish. Change it up and make it fun!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Salsa or pico de gallo (mine were store-bought)
- Low fat shredded cheese (for my son, I stay away from dairy most of the time..unless it’s ice cream)
- Black beans
- Baja corn mix (my local grocer mixes corn, onions, black beans, and peppers together, but you could easily chop your own)
- Shells (Your choice! Coop loves hard shells, and I opt for anything gluten-free!)
- Let your chicken breasts marinate in 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 packet taco seasoning in your slow cooker on low heat for 6-8 hours. (Since I was traveling for work today, it sat closer to 8)
- Pull chicken out and shred with a fork. Return to crock pot mixture and let sit on “keep warm” until you’re ready to eat
- Sauté your corn mix on medium heat until slightly blackened
- Build those tacos!
Two tacos are approx 433 calories, but keep in mind this number will change depending on your shell type and toppings. Guacamole and cheese will add on more calories!
Want to start tracking macros or making healthier food choices? Sign up for coaching + custom meal plans and workout plans!
Natasha Funderburk is a wife, #boymom, NASM-Certified Personal Trainer, Certified Nutrition Consultant, and ACE-Behavior Change Specialist. When not watching her son play baseball, she can be found on various writing platforms, coaching her clients to live their best lives, drinking all the coffee, and conducting living-room dance parties.