I’ve been contemplating the subject of “self-love” quite a bit lately, and exploring the idea of putting ourselves first along with all the ways we can show ourselves love. I believe practicing this is not only beneficial for our own mental and physical health, but as mamas it’s such an important lesson we have to teach our kiddos – and the best way is to lead by example.
I found myself having a less than desirable day, which turned into a less than desirable weekend, and I started blaming everyone but the biggest culprit: me. I’ve said it before and I truly believe that we are responsible for our own happiness. We are responsible for showing up for our lives and not allowing ourselves to merely float through.
If there is something we do not like about our current situation, then it is our responsibility to find a way to fix it. If we are unhappy, we have to find ways to incorporate more joy into our daily living. We have to show up for ourselves and take care of the mind and body that God gave us. Because if we are incapable of showing ourselves love, how can we show others?
So. There are truly multiple ways we should and could be showing ourselves more love. The way we eat, the way we take care of our bodies, what we allow to invade our thoughts, how we spend our time, the people we surround ourselves with.. the list goes on and on.
BUT. For simplicity sake, I thought it would be fun to start the turning the tables and figure out with little acts of kindness that we can show ourselves. These 31 acts of self love are simple. Some put value on our hearts, and others put value on the materialist things. But they all share a common goal: it’s essential to put ourselves first and remind ourselves that we are loved.
Feel free to swap these days around, or cross off and add something different! But whatever you do – commit to showing yourself little acts of love and kindness for the next 31 days! And once you’ve completed that, come back here and leave a comment letting me know how your experience went!
31 Day Self-Love Challenge
- Buy yourself fresh flowers
- Treat yourself to your favorite coffee drink
- Get a mani/pedi (Saving money? No worries! You can still have a little spa day at home).
- Give yourself a day off (Just relax! Take a break from all the things that overwhelm you and just spend the day doing whatever it is that makes you feel relaxed and at peace).
- Wear red lipstick (Not into red? Choose a bright pink or other bold color to rock!)
- Write down 10 things you love about yourself (put that list somewhere you can see it every day!)
- Unplug: No social media today! (Take a break from comparing yourself, your life, your accomplishments to other people!)
- Light some candles and cook your favorite dinner (or order it in!)
- Have your best friends over for a movie night
- Go for a walk in the sunshine
- Take a bubble bath before bed
- Try a new fitness class
- Leave yourself a love note
- Call a friend
- Treat yourself to a date night (New movie you want to see? Buy a big tub of popcorn and watch it. New restaurant in town? Don’t wait for someone to ask.. take yourself there).
- Dance to your favorite songs
- Surround yourself with positive people
- Start a journal
- Compliment yourself AND someone else today
- Write down 10 things you’re grateful for
- Try something new
- Go to bed early
- Practice yoga, pray, or meditate
- Do something good for someone else
- Clean your home (Clutter causes anxiety. Declutter your space and make it your haven).
- Get out and move
- Just treat yourself
- Try a new hairstyle
- Celebrate a win from today
- Don’t check your email until Monday (after work, that is!)
- Say no to something that makes you unhappy
BONUS: Snag a copy of your self-love calendar! Keep it on your phone, on your desktop, or print it out and carry it with you! That way you can remember your self-love tasks for each day!
Show yourself a little extra love this month and unlock these top ten secrets for finding your true happiness and success!! Download my 32 page eBook, complete with worksheets to accompany each secret so you can plan your own roadmap to happiness!
Natasha Funderburk is a wife, #boymom, NASM-Certified Personal Trainer, Certified Nutrition Consultant, and ACE-Behavior Change Specialist. When not watching her son play baseball, she can be found on various writing platforms, coaching her clients to live their best lives, drinking all the coffee, and conducting living-room dance parties.